Sunday, January 21, 2007

Selecting Your Home Business Opportunity

I started looking for a home business opportunity in 2006. I didn't buy the numerous heavily hyped, or worse yet, scam operations that touted the instant and fantastic riches that could be achieved on the Internet (often with little or no effort required).

While doing my research as to which business I would eventually pursue, this type of claim became an instant trigger for me to move on to check out some other "opportunity". I mean, give me a break, if those claims were close to being true, why would they share their "secret" with anyone else? During my research a few other alarms surfaced to help narrow down the realistic and legitimate opportunities from among the far too numerous unfounded offers.

Early on, I determined that the "get in on the ground floor" offers were essentially smoke. After all, if I wanted to take a chance on the lottery, I would have purchased a ticket. Because of my business management experience, it soon became clear to me that three of the primary factors that would influence my choice would be:

*successful longevity (how long has this particular company been successfully doing business?)

*reasonable income expectations of the company offering the opportunity

*support systems and online training resources available to help the participants succeed. One thing that really struck me about the company I selected for my home based business was the availability of online training 7 days a week.

You will not become rich in a new business opportunity within the first six months, give a business at least a year. It takes time to develop a good working plan. It takes time to figure out what marketing activities deliver the biggest bang for the buck. Anything worthwhile takes consistent effort. If you’re not thinking long term, you’ve set yourself up for failure.

Your selection process should focus on reality (there is no "magic" in home based businesses) and reject any so-called home business"opportunities" that seem too good to be true.

No comments: