Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Starting A Home Based Internet Business

Working out of your home with an Internet business can be the most rewarding experience, both personally and financially, that a person can undertake. The Internet has made a number of millionaires. We all want to make more money, spend time with our family, and these are only a few of the fringe benefits that owning an Internet business can provide. However, individuals that have made their fortune on the Internet have certain characteristics about them that have allowed them to be successful. Their riches were not obtained overnight, and they were not obtained without realistic expectations.

Lets look at some of the things that would prohibit you from being successful online...

Are you currently unemployed?
I see so many people sign up for Internet programs these days that are not currently employed and expect that an Internet business will provide for their families right off the bat.

Businesses on the Internet are not 9-5 jobs that pay by the hour, they are "businesses", and most pay by commission. As with most businesses, there are things that have to be set in place before you are going to start attracting customers. This does not happen overnight, this is something that you will put in place over time.

Are you unwilling to invest your money?
Many programs on the Internet offer free sign-ups, free products, and free websites to help an individual get started in an Internet home business. This is fantastic, because in order to make money on the Internet, you have to have a product to sell, and you are going to need a website for your customers to go to purchase your products. However, customers won't know that your website exist unless you advertise it. Many high traffic sites on the Internet will allow you to advertise your products on their site for a fee.

Getting your website listed on the search engines is free and will supply you with a never ending traffic stream. But many search engines are unwilling to list free affiliate websites. The way that we overcome this is to build our own sites and link them to our affiliate websites. Building your own website will cost you around $25. So as you can see, if you cannot initially invest at least $25 - $50 a month on your Internet business, you are probably not going to succeed.

Are you unwilling to invest your time?
I spend about 2 hours a day online through the week working on my business. I am advertising and submitting my website to various search engines, directories, and other high traffic sites. I am critiquing my website, sending emails to my affiliates in training, making deals with other webmasters, etc.

I also do an enormous amount of reading. I have found that entrepreneurs who have made a fortune on the Internet are only too happy to share their knowledge on how they got there. Some days I put in more time and some day's I don't work at all. But, I know that every hour I spend on setting my business up is just one step closer to reaching my financial goals. If you are unwilling to invest your time...you are probably not going to succeed.

Are you unwilling to give up your skepticism?
Many times I have an affiliate sign up for my program, and the first thing I hear is how they have been burned by another Internet business. While I'm sure there are millions of Internet scams out there, I see a common characteristic that all these people seem to have...they don't DO ANYTHING!


Operating an Internet business is not a get-rich quick program, nor can you be successful if you are unwilling to invest some time and money. You must have some realistic expectations and stay focused on the goal at hand. If you are capable of doing these things, you can expect many handsome rewards in the future for your time and effort.

No comments: